Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The First County Agricultural Extension Agent

 
 
The First County Agricultural Extension Agent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 9, 2015
1. The First County Agricultural Extension Agent Marker
Inscription.
At a time of low crop production and depressed farm economy, Smith County became the birthplace of the County Agricultural Agent concept. This occurred in an historic meeting Nov. 12, 1906, in an opera house near this site. Present were Dr. Seaman A. Knapp of the United States Department of Agriculture, County Judge S. A. Lindsey, and some 44 local leaders—many belonging to the Tyler Commercial Club which sought to underwrite farm improvement.

Smith County that day appointed Wm. C. Stallings (1842-1916) the first county agent in Texas and the first in the nation to serve only one county.

Three years earlier the first cooperative farm demonstration program was begun on the Walter C. Porter property, Kaufman County. That successful application of scientific farming operations and appointment of Stallings (an outstanding farmer of the Dixie community, west of Tyler) were first steps toward establishment of the County Agricultural Agents' system, now known the world over as the Cooperative Extension Service. Today its educational programs further development of agricultural and human resources in both rural and urban areas.
 
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7716.)
 
Location. 32° 
The First County Agricultural Extension Agent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 9, 2015
2. The First County Agricultural Extension Agent Marker
21.064′ N, 95° 18.067′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on West Erwin Street east of North College Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located on the south side of the plaza across from the Smith County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 W Erwin St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (a few steps from this marker); City of Tyler (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler Commercial College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yarbrough Building (about 400 feet away); Tyler Carnegie Library (about 600 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement