“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Canyon Fire Department

Canyon Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
1. Canyon Fire Department Marker
Inscription. Prior to 1909, volunteers used buckets and homemade ladders to fight fires in Canyon and the surrounding area. The city addressed the need for fire protection by organizing a department and choosing 21 men for duty. The city also obtained a horse-drawn engine with two gasoline-driven pump motors from the Howe Engine Company. Soon, the apparatus was used in 1910 by fire fighters who stopped a blaze at the Victoria, Canyon's largest hotel. Although the hotel burned to the ground, First National Bank and other downtown buildings were saved. The new fire department serviced an immediate area of six hundred square miles, including grass-covered prairies, Palo Duro Canyon, the communities of Canyon, Happy and Umbarger, and nearby rural dwellings. It led to the establishment of Canyon's first system of water works, modernizing the community.

Through the years, the department has successfully made adjustments to meet challenges of the area's growth. The establishment of grain elevators, feed yards, and Buffalo Lake Wildlife Refuge, and the passage of trains carrying hazardous materials through Canyon required additional training and equipment. In 1962, the department formed an emergency unit and in 1971, introduced a snorkel unit to fight fires at tall institutional buildings, like those of West Texas State University (now West Texas
Canyon Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
2. Canyon Fire Department Marker
A&M University). In 1973, Canyon Annual Fire Control School opened, providing training to firefighters throughout the Texas Panhandle. Today, the Canyon Fire Department continues to offer personal protection for residents of this community and rural areas, as well as for thousands of visiting students, educators and tourists.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15864.)
Location. 34° 58.84′ N, 101° 55.587′ W. Marker is in Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on 17th Street south of 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Little House of Fellowship (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Canyon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Randall County (about 600 feet away); Randall County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Randall County World War I Memorial (about 700 feet away); Site of Wagon Yard (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Canyon.
Categories. Government
Canyon Fire Department image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 18, 2015
3. Canyon Fire Department
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement