Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Colonel Thomas R. Bonner / Texas In the Civil War 1861-1865
School named for Texas Confederate
Colonel Thomas R. Bonner
Born in Mississippi. Came to Texas 1849. In Texas militia at start of Civil War. Elected captain Co. C, 18th Tex. Infantry, C.S.A., 1862. Commanded 18th as Colonel, 1863-65. Gallantly led unit in battles at Bourbeau, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, La. and Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., all being vital actions to prevent Federal invasions of Texas. After the war, admitted to bar and practiced law in Tyler. Served in 11-15th Texas Legislatures and as speaker of the house in 1876. Founded the first bank in Tyler. Leader in building Tyler Tap Railroad. Established an insurance company. Trustee East Texas University. Grand Master of Masons in Texas, 1875.
in the Civil War
Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after a 3 to 1 popular vote for secession. 90,000 troops, famed for mobility and daring, fought on every battlefront. A 2,000-mile frontier and coast were successfully defended from Union troop invasion and savage Indians. Texas was the storehouse of Western Confederacy. Wagon trains laden with cotton—life blood of the South—crossed the state to Mexico to trade for medical supplies, clothing, military supplies. State and private
Erected 1965 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 7707.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 20.85′ N, 95° 17.417′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of South Saunders Avenue and East Earle Street, on the right when traveling south on South Saunders Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located in front of Thomas R Bonner Elementary School, which is named for Colonel Bonner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 235 S Saunders Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John B. & Ketura Douglas House (approx. half a mile away); 1881 Smith County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 0.6 miles away); Yarbrough Building Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (approx. 0.7 miles away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. The granite marker is deteriorating slightly and is difficult to read.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 4. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.