Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tyler Commercial College
In March 1901, a diploma from Tyler Commercial College entitled holders to a teachers certificate. A fire destroyed the building in 1903 and the college moved to the west side of South College Street. The curriculum was expanded to include courses in the secretarial field, railroad courses, and, by 1931, Tyler Commercial College boasted a radio studio. Tyler Commercial College grew to be the largest commercial college in the nation. In April 1942 the first class of the Army Signal Corps school detachment began with Major Virgil Caldwell Commanding Officer and John
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17351.)
Location. 32° 21.007′ N, 95° 18.106′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on South College Avenue south of West Erwin Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 S College Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Tyler (about 400 feet away); Marvin Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (about 400 feet away); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. 3. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.