Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Olympia in Thurston County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Masonic Lodge 1854-1971,

Washington Territorial Legislative Meeting Site 1854-1855 and 1855-1856

 

—Olympia Heritage Site —

 
Masonic Lodge 1854-1971, Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shirley A Stirling, November 6, 2015
1. Masonic Lodge 1854-1971, Marker
Inscription. The Masonic Temple was built in 1854 by the first Masonic Lodge in Washington, Olympia Lodge No 1 F. and A. M. It was built on land donated by Edmund Sylvester who had platted the town of Olympia in 1850. Designed in a classical style, the impressive two-story structure had a temple front with four columns across the facade.

After Washington was made a territory in 1853, a territorial capitol building was begun at the present capitol grounds site. However in 1855-56, a general Indian Uprising was underway in Western Washington and men were called away on militia duty. The capitol was unfinished in time for the 1854-1855 legislature and so that session and the one the following year, 1855-1856, met in the Masonic Temple. It was the only suitable structure in the city.

Besides Masonic services, the structure also served as a school and as a meeting place for other civic gatherings before it was razed in 1911. A new Masonic temple of similar design was built at the same location but was torn down in 1971.

This marker was donated by Olympia Lodge No. 1 F. and A. M. and by the Sacajawea Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Erected 1999 by Olympia Lodge No. 1 F. and A. M. and by the Sacajawea Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series.
Masonic Lodge 1854-1971, Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shirley A Stirling, November 6, 2015
2. Masonic Lodge 1854-1971, Marker
This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 47° 2.752′ N, 122° 52.998′ W. Marker is in Olympia, Washington, in Thurston County. Marker is on 4th Avenue East west of Central Street Southeast, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. In front of Thurston County Title Company and EdwardJones Investments. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1401 4th Avenue E, Olympia WA 98506, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington Women Win the Vote (approx. 0.8 miles away); John Rankin Rogers (approx. 0.8 miles away); Marking the End of the Oregon Trail 1844 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Medal of Honor Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); POW AND MIA Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Lone Tree (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ecological Connections (approx. 12.5 miles away); Mima Mounds: A Special Prairie (approx. 12.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Olympia.
 
More about this marker. Enameled metal plaque attached to a large concrete upright slab.
The plaque is marred by several rusty spots where the enamel is gone.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Shirley A Stirling of Lacey, Washington. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement