Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bullard in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dewberry Plantation House

 
 
Dewberry Plantation House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 12, 2015
1. Dewberry Plantation House Marker
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Inscription. War of 1812 veteran John Dewberry came to Texas in 1835 and was listed as a resident of Tyler by 1845. A successful businessman and cotton farmer, he served on the commission to locate county boundaries and a county seat after the creation of Smith County in 1846. This Greek Revival house, which Dewberry named "Myrtle-Vale," was begun in 1852 and served as headquarters for his large cotton plantation. A rare surviving example in the county of a two-story antebellum residence, the Dewberry house remained in the family until 1908.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962

 
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7719.)
 
Location. 32° 9.544′ N, 95° 24.28′ W. Marker is near Bullard, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 346 0.1 miles south of County Route 1353, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is on the front porch of the home. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14007 FM 346 West, Bullard TX 75757, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp of the Army of the Republic of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Cemetery
Dewberry Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 12, 2015
2. Dewberry Plantation House
(approx. 7.9 miles away); Cuney (approx. 8.9 miles away); The Major John Dean House (approx. 10.4 miles away); Yarborough House (approx. 11.1 miles away); Cherokee Exodus from Texas (approx. 11.1 miles away); John Crane (approx. 11.3 miles away); Love's Lookout (approx. 11.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Dewberry Plantation House. Dewberry is buried in the Loftin cemetery, 0.9 miles south at the intersection of FM 344 and 346. His grave is unique in that it has what is called a grave house covering his raised tomb.
 
Also see . . .  Dewberry Plantation. This meticulously restored historic home is open for tours and events. (Submitted on December 12, 2015, by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas.) 
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 
Dewberry Plantation House National Register Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 12, 2015
3. Dewberry Plantation House National Register Plaque
John Dewberry Grave and Gravehouse image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 12, 2015
4. John Dewberry Grave and Gravehouse
Located at the Loftin cemetery in the Teaselville community, intersection of FM 344 and 346, Bullard, Texas.
John Dewberry tombstone image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 12, 2015
5. John Dewberry tombstone
At the bottom is an inscription penned by his wife, Mary Ann
What peaceful hours I once enjoyed / How sweet the memory still / but they have left an aching void / the world can never fill
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement