Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1825-1836. A part of Gonzales
County to 1848. First settlements
were on Plum Creek and the
San Marcos River
Created March 6, 1848
Organized August 7, 1848
Named in honor of
Mathew Caldwell, “Old Paint”
Soldier-Statesman, Signer of the
Texas Declaration of Independence
Commander of the Texas Rangers
Lockhart, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9759.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 53.046′ N, 97° 40.322′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Main Street and E. Market Street, on the right when traveling north on S. Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at the southwest corner of the grounds of the Caldwell County courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Caldwell County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Plum Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rafael Rios No. 1 (approx. 12 miles away); Buda (approx. 17.1 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 17.1 miles away); Antioch Colony (approx. 17.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lockhart.
More about this marker. This Texas Centennial marker was restored in 1964.
Also see . . . Caldwell County. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 13, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.