Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
1. First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart Marker
Inscription. In 1849, Rev. N.P. Charlot appointed D.M. Morris and Col. John T. Storey as elders of First Presbyterian Church, which organized with ten members. Early services were held in membersí homes and the Masonic hall before church elders bought this site in 1854. A concrete church building was completed the next year. An 1879 cyclone destroyed that building, replaced by another in 1880 and the current sanctuary in 1914. Long-serving pastors include R.A. McCurdy (1911-23) and Dr. Samuel L. Joekel (1930-54). The Presbyterian Life Center hosts church events and community activities. Today, one of the oldest churches in the city continues to aid its neighbors and the world through service and outreach.
175 years of Texas Independence ★ 1836 - 2011

 
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16772.)
 
Location. 29° 53.129′ N, 97° 40.285′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is on N. Commerce Street south of E. Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial
Marker next to the First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
2. Marker next to the First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caldwell County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Caldwell County (about 500 feet away); Battle of Plum Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rafael Rios No. 1 (approx. 12.1 miles away); Buda (approx. 17.1 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 17.1 miles away); Antioch Colony (approx. 17.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lockhart.
 
Also see . . .  First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart. A transcript of the historical marker application to the Texas Historical Commission. (Submitted on December 13, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 8, 2015
3. First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
View to east across N. Commerce Street
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement