Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Detroit's Underground Railway Station
A large brick building known as "The Finney House Barn," was located here and used as a depot for helping slaves gain freedom into Canada from 1833 until the Civil War. Detroit was one of the important "stations," on the route to Canada and the Anti-Slavery Society organized in 1837, aided in the liberation of thousands of slaves.
Location. 42° 19.962′ N, 83° 2.928′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Griswold Street and State Street, on the right when traveling north on Griswold Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1212 Griswold Street, Detroit MI 48226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Capitol Building in Michigan (within shouting distance of this marker); Finney Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Michigan's First Capitol/Capitol Union School (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodward Avenue Cultural Heritage Tour (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Iron Brigade / The Twenty-Fourth Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment Chicago Road (about 700 feet away); Statue of Abraham Lincoln (about 700 feet away); General Casimir Pulaski (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.