Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lake City in Marshall County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Marshall County South Dakota

You Are Entering

 
 
Marshall County South Dakota Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
1. Marshall County South Dakota Marker
Inscription. The last county organized east of the Missouri, on May 2, 1885; it had been in Sheyenne County 1862; a gigantic Hanson 1870; coincident with Stone 1873; the north half of Day 1879 and was created by the 1885 Legislature and named for Governor William W. Marshall of Minnesota. Its high coteaus and many wooded lakes made it the early and happy habitat of the Cuthead Yanktonaise and Sisseton Sioux. White trappers and traders enroute from Lake Traverse to the Aricara villages on the Missouri near Grand River, visited it by 1800 and its first permanent resident was Joseph R. Brown in 1843 when he had a Fur Trade Post at Buffalo Lakes, near the SE corner, later sold to the American Fur Company. In 1864, following the Santee Sioux outbreak in Minnesota, Ft. Wadsworth, near its south central border was built to restrain the hostile Indians. It was a very strongly entrenched post and in 1876 was renamed Ft. Sisseton but was abandoned by the Military In June 1889. Reconstructed in the 1930s, it is the most authentic old fort in the Midwest and in 1959 was named as a state park. Not far distant is Roy Lake, with a most extensive shore line, another state park. The county's first post office was at Newark, June 15, 1883; John F. Pulver, Postmaster. Famous for fishing and upland game. Marshall County welcomes you.
 
Erected
Marshall County South Dakota Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
2. Marshall County South Dakota Marker
1959 by Marshall County Highway Department.
 
Location. 45° 39.573′ N, 97° 13.825′ W. Marker is near Lake City, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker is on Route 10 one mile west of 450th Ave., on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City SD 57247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Two Companions (approx. 2.5 miles away); Two Sisters (approx. 2.5 miles away); Two Brothers (approx. 2.5 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Marshall County South Dakota Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 16, 2015, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement