Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lake City in Marshall County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Fort Wadsworth 1864

Fort Sisseton 1876

 
 
Fort Wadsworth 1864 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
1. Fort Wadsworth 1864 Marker
Inscription. Major John Clowney, 30th Wisconsin Infantry with Cos. B. E. G. and K, Captains Burton, Devlin, Swain & Klatt, started the fort on 1 August 1864, pursuant to orders of General John Pope, Department Commander. They were mostly from the north woods and chopped and whittled out the post. Huge logs, a couple of inches above a dirt embankment, dug from a ditch in front, provided loopholes. Two hewn log blockhouses on the NW and SE corners provided enfilading fire. Major Clowney said he could resist all the redskins in the Northwest. It was named for Gen. James W. Wadsworth, killed in the Battle of the Wilderness, April 2nd, 1864. When Col. Thomasí column arrived after the Battle of Killdeer Mountain, going east on September 28th, 1864, the 30th Wisconsin marched with him and Major Robert H. Rose, 2nd Minn. Cavalry, remained as commander and to complete the post. It was renamed Ft. Sisseton in 1876. The garrisons after the 2nd Minnesota were 1866, 10th US Infantry; 1870, 20th US Infantry; 1873 17th US Infantry, when the name was changed; 1885, 25th US Infantry, (Colored); 1888, 3rd US Infantry and Capt. Joe Hale, of the 3rd, was commanding officer when the Fort was abandoned June 1st, 1889. For 25 years it was the military and social center of a large area and all of the original log buildings had been replaced by stone and frame structures,
Fort Wadsworth Dakota Map (backside of marker) image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
2. Fort Wadsworth Dakota Map (backside of marker)
which in the 1930ís were rehabilitated.
 
Erected 1964 by South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Commission.
 
Location. 45° 44.82′ N, 97° 31.265′ W. Marker is near Lake City, South Dakota, in Marshall County. Marker is on State Highway 10 0.2 miles east of 434th Ave., on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City SD 57247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Post Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Wealth of Wildlife (approx. 6.1 miles away); Fort Sisseton Military Reservation, Dakota Territory (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hospital (approx. 6.2 miles away); Doctor's Residence (approx. 6.2 miles away); Library (approx. 6.2 miles away); North Barracks (approx. 6.2 miles away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (approx. 6.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lake City.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
Fort Wadsworth 1864 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
3. Fort Wadsworth 1864 Marker
Fort Sisseton State Park (six miles south) image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, December 6, 2015
4. Fort Sisseton State Park (six miles south)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement