Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Reconstructed Fort Caspar
Prior to his death on July 26, 1885 Lt. Caspar W. Collins made several diagrams of military posts in Dakota Territory. This reconstruction was based on his diagram of the fort.
In November of 1865 the post known as Platte Bridge Station was officially renamed Fort Caspar in honor of Lt. Collins.
1. Sutler Store - Built in 1862 by a civilian trader who contracted with the army to run the store.
2. Blacksmith Shop and Corral - The blacksmith shop, built in 1859, served the needs of the Overland Stage Company, Pony Express, emigrants, and the army.
3. Living Quarters - Stable - Corral - Built in 1859 by the Overland Stage Company as living quarters and stables. Also used by the Pony Express as a relay station in 1860-61. In 1862, the army adapted it into officers' quarters, a laundry room, and stables.
4. Commissary - Built in 1862, this building was used to store army issue clothing, equipment, and foodstuff.
5. Barracks & Kitchen - Squad rooms and mess hall used by cavalry and infantry troops stationed at the fort
6. Telegraph Office - Originally, this 1859 building was the Guinard trading post. It was converted in 1861 by the Pacific Telegraph into an office and store room.
7. Gurnard Bridge - Built in 1859 by Louis Gurnard and used until Fort Caper was abandoned in 1867.
8. The Mormon Ferry - The first ferry was built in 1847 when the Mormon Pioneer Party crossed the river here.
9. Carriage Shed - The long building houses the Museum's wagon collection and serves as storage for large artifacts.
10. Commemorative Cemetery - The white markers represent some of the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry soldiers who died while serving in the west.
11.Monument & Cemetery - GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) monument as site of several burials, both military and civilian.
Erected 1988 by Natrona County Historical Society.
Location. 42° 50.213′ N, 106° 22.302′ W. Marker is in Casper, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker can be reached from Fort Caspar Road near South West Wyoming Boulevard (Wyoming Route 258), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4001 Fort Caspar Road, Casper WY 82604, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking The Battle at Platte Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Red Buttes (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Stuart Cabin Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Oregon/California/Mormon Trails (within shouting distance of this marker); Indians Of Wyoming (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Explorers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mormons (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Bridge and Military Complex (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Casper.
Also see . . . Fort Caspar Museum - City of Casper. Fort Caspar Museum educates visitors about the cultural history of Fort Caspar, the City of Casper, Natrona County, and central Wyoming by acquiring, preserving and exhibiting artifacts; interpreting historic buildings; and offering school and public programming. (Submitted on December 19, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.