Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wildorado in Deaf Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery

 
 
Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
1. Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Early settlers to this area included the J.C. Womble family, which came in January 1892. The next year, the community obtained land on which to build a schoolhouse, known as the Union School. In May 1893, George D. Whitfield, a young cowboy, was buried in what was the schoolyard. His is the first marked burial, although two earlier graves were known to exist at the time.

In 1901, residents organized the Palo Duro Missionary Baptist Church and held services in the schoolhouse. They moved across the road in 1905. In May 1910, the school moved approximately two miles north, and the property reverted back to its original owner. The land with the gravesites was deeded to the community in 1914 for use as a cemetery.

During the mid-20th century, area residents bought additional land and added a well and fence. As the burial site of numerous area residents, as well as men and women veterans of the military, the cemetery serves as a link to the area's rich history.

Historic Texas Cemetery – 2004

 
Erected 2004. (Marker Number 13076.)
 
Location. 35° 7.004′ N, 102° 12.211′ W. Marker is near Wildorado, Texas, in Deaf Smith County. Marker is on Farm
Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
2. Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery Marker
to Market Road 809 6.5 miles south of Interstate 40, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wildorado TX 79098, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palo Duro Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Umbarger (approx. 12.5 miles away); Fort Smith-Santa Fe Trail (approx. 16.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
George D. Whitfield grave site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
3. George D. Whitfield grave site
In May 1893, George D. Whitfield, a young cowboy, was buried in what was the schoolyard.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement