Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Santa Anna in Coleman County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Shields Cemetery

 
 
Shields Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
1. Shields Cemetery Marker
Inscription. The first community in this vicinity began as a Baptist church settlement founded in 1900. The vast ranch land of the area was divided into lots beginning about 1905. Early settlers called the community “Double Gates” because there were two gates on the road between the nearby towns of Coleman and Brady. A watering hole near the road also attracted travelers.
†††††L.L. Shield built a general store and post office, and the community was named for him. The infant son of J.T. and L.A. (Dillingham) Gilbreath died in June 1908 and became the first person to be interred on land set aside for a Shield community cemetery. One acre of land including the grave was donated to County Judge T.J. White, trustee, in December of that year. The cemetery gradually took on the name Shields.
†††††The earliest graves here are a testimony to the difficulty of pioneer life: almost half the 37 people interred during the first ten years of the cemeteryís operation were children younger than three years of age. Two more were teenagers and four were under the age of twenty-five. Only one person more than fifty years of age was buried during this period: Susan Winkler McGinnis Godwin died in 1913 at age eighty-two.
†††††Veterans of the Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War are interred here. Six graves in the northwest
Shields Cemetery as viewed from Farm-to-Market Road 2131 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
2. Shields Cemetery as viewed from Farm-to-Market Road 2131
corner of the cemetery are believed to be those of Catholic Mexican Americans.
†††††The Shield community thrived for a time, and many of its most influential citizens are interred on this site. Though the community declined after World War II, Shields Cemetery remains as a chronicle of its people.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11813.)
 
Location. 31° 36.022′ N, 99° 25.486′ W. Marker is near Santa Anna, Texas, in Coleman County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2131 half a mile north of Farm to Market Road 1026, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gouldbusk TX 76845, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Flat Top Settlement (approx. 10.5 miles away); The Turner House (approx. 11.3 miles away); First Christian Church of Santa Anna (approx. 11.3 miles away); Santa Anna Cemetery (approx. 11.3 miles away); John R. Banister (approx. 11.4 miles away); Emma Daugherty Banister (approx. 11.4 miles away); Town of Trickham (approx. 11.4 miles away); Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Williams (approx. 11.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Anna.
 
More about this marker.
View to South from Farm-to-Market Road 2131 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
3. View to South from Farm-to-Market Road 2131
Marker is on the left (east) side of the road
A plate attached to the bottom of the marker reads, “In memory of Susan Winkler McGinnis Godwin”.
 
Also see . . .
1. Shields Cemetery - findagrave.com. (Submitted on December 20, 2015.)
2. Western Trail. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on December 20, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
Shields Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
4. Shields Cemetery
The six graves of the Catholic Mexican Americans, marked by small crosses, are in the foreground
Grave Site of Susan Winkler McGinnis Godwin image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
5. Grave Site of Susan Winkler McGinnis Godwin
Western Cattle Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 9, 2015
6. Western Cattle Trail Marker
Located near the Shields Cemetery marker, this cement post marks the route of the Western Cattle Trail
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement