Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Pleasant in Isabella County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant

 
 
Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., October 25, 2015
1. Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker
Inscription.
Isabella County Seat
The state legislature organized Isabella County on February 11, 1859. A commission appointed by the governor established the county seat as Isabella Centre. To encourage settlement on land he owned in Isabella County, lumberman David Ward deeded five acres in present-day Mount Pleasant to the county on the condition that the county courthouse be erected on that land. In 1860 voters approved the transfer of the county seat to Mount Pleasant, and a simple frame building was constructed on the site as the first courthouse. The county built a stately brick courthouse on this site in 1877. That building was demolished in 1972.

The Founding of Mount Pleasant
During the 1850s lumberman David Ward purchased land in section 15 of Union Township. In 1860 he platted the village of Mount Pleasant with land set aside for a courthouse square. Harvey and George Morton, developers from New York State, purchased Ward's property in 1863. Isaac A. Francher surveyed and recorded the plat of Mount Pleasant for the Mortons in 1864. The village was roughly bounded by Lincoln Street, Wisconsin Street, Lansing Street, Oak Street and the Chippewa River. Water-powered milling, lumber processing, and county government formed the basis of Mount Pleasant's growth after the
Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., October 25, 2015
2. Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker
Civil War. On April 16, 1875, the state legislature incorporated the village of Mount Pleasant.
 
Erected 2000 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2080.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 36.328′ N, 84° 46.582′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, in Isabella County. Marker is at the intersection of Mosher Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Mosher Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Main Street, Mount Pleasant MI 48858, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isabella County Courthouse Postcards (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Isabella County Courthouse and Jail (about 600 feet away); The Isabella County Court House was already over thirty years old... (about 600 feet away); Doughty House (about 700 feet away); Sacred Heart Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Indian Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Central Michigan University (approx. 1.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
 
Categories. PoliticsSettlements & Settlers
 
Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., October 25, 2015
3. Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant Marker
View looking northeast from the traffic circle at Mosher Street and North Main Street with the Isabella County Administration Building in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement