Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Catholic Rectory

 
 
Catholic Rectory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 22, 2014
1. Catholic Rectory Marker
Inscription. Built in 1866 as a one room schoolhouse for Catholic boys, it became the rectory for Father F.X. Blanchet in 1870. An addition was built in 1891. St. Joseph's Catholic Church became a mission of Medford in 1908 the rectory became a private residence. The building was saved by local resident Robbie Collins in 1967. Presently preserved and maintained by The Friends of St. Josephs.
 
Location. 42° 18.879′ N, 122° 57.977′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of North 4th Street and East C Street, on the left when traveling south on North 4th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 North 4th Street, Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Methodist Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rogue River Valley Railroad Depot (about 600 feet away); City Hall (about 800 feet away); Rich Gulch (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cuthbert Building (approx. 4.9 miles away); City of Gold Hill (approx. 9.1 miles away); The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls
St. Joseph's Catholic Rectory and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 22, 2014
2. St. Joseph's Catholic Rectory and Marker
The buildings and grounds were purchased and restored in 1967 by the St. Joseph’s Rectory Acquisition Committee. In 1968, they were turned over to the Southern Oregon Historical Society to manage. In 2002, this historical landmark was conveyed to Jackson County although the property continued under SOHS management. In 2010, management was transferred to the Jacksonville Heritage Society. - Jacksonville Heritage Society
(approx. 9.7 miles away); a different marker also named The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls (approx. 9.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Joseph’s Catholic Rectory. HistoricJacksonville.org presents a very short history of the rectory. (Submitted on December 22, 2015.) 

2. St. Joseph's Catholic Rectory. The Jacksonville Heritage Society, the owners of the rectory, present a history of the building. (Submitted on December 22, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement