Boys Ranch in Oldham County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Historic LS
(Headquarters 3 miles southeast)
Memorable LS men included foreman J. E. McAlister, later a Channing merchant. One of the $25-a-month cowboys was E. L. Doheny, later a multi-millionaire oil man involved in 1920's Teapot Dome scandal.
Ownership of brand and 96,000 acres of LS range passed to Col. C. T. Herring, rancher and civic leader of Amarillo; his estate still operates it.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5352.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boys Ranch TX 79010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldham County (here, next to this marker); Old Tascosa (here, next to this marker); Cal Farley's Boys Ranch (here, next to this marker); Boot Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tascosa Courthouse, 1884 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tascosa (approx. 0.6 miles away); Matador Cowboys Reunion Association (approx. 10.9 miles away); Hartley County Courthouse (approx. 10.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Boys Ranch.
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.