Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Channing in Hartley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Matador Cowboys Reunion Association

1961-2000

 
 
Matador Cowboys Reunion Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
1. Matador Cowboys Reunion Association Marker
Inscription. The Matador Land and Cattle Company was owned by a syndicate in Dundee, Scotland. The ranch had two divisions in Texas. One began near Matador, Texas, in 1882 and was known as the Lower Outfit. The Alamositas Division, near Channing, Texas, was purchased in 1902. The Matador Ranch began selling off land in the 1950's. The Matador Cowboys held their first reunion in 1961. The first officers were: O.D. (Fat) Skelton, President; Y.C. (Red) Garrison, Vice-president; Frank Shepherd, Secretary-treasure. The first directors were Stanley (Heavy) Stewart, Dave Hilburn, Beale Queen, Roy Blackwell, Clarence Hyre, Bob Morris, Jockey Blackwell. Over the years, with help from the Channing Lions Club and the community, many activities were enjoyed. They included a parade with a queen chosen from a cowboy's family, a reunion meeting, booths, music, games, a free noon bar-b-que, a roping for Matador Cowboys, an open roping for others and an outdoor dance. The activities were held on various sites around Channing. The tradition continued on the third Saturday in August for forty more years.
 
Location. 35° 40.904′ N, 102° 19.98′ W. Marker is in Channing, Texas, in Hartley County. Marker can be reached from South Main Street south of West 9th Street. Click for map. Marker
Matador Cowboys Reunion Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 19, 2015
2. Matador Cowboys Reunion Association Marker
is on the courthouse lawn, just south of the courthouse entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Channing TX 79018, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hartley County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Channing United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); XIT General Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cal Farley's Boys Ranch (approx. 10.9 miles away); The Historic LS (approx. 10.9 miles away); Old Tascosa (approx. 10.9 miles away); Oldham County (approx. 10.9 miles away); Boot Hill Cemetery (approx. 11.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Channing.
 
Categories. Animals
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement