Bayliss in Glenn County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
was built to serve the small, rural
population of the surrounding area.
It was dedicated on July 14, 1917,
and has been in continuous use as a
free public library since that date.
The Willows Chapter
Daughters of America Revolution
Presented October 1, 1995
Daughters of the American Revolution
Mrs. Robert G. Herr, State Regent
California State Society, NSDAR
Erected 1995 by Daughters of the American Revolution Willows Chapter.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries, and the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 34.962′ N, 122° 2.803′ W. Marker is in Bayliss, California, in Glenn County. Marker is at the intersection of County Route 39 and Road W, on the left when traveling east on County Route 39. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7830 County Road 39, Glenn CA 95943, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gianella Bridge (approx. 12.1 miles away); Papst Flour Mill Site (approx. The Swift Adobe (approx. 14.6 miles away); The Historic Home of Annie and John Bidwell (approx. 15 miles away); The Life and Times of John Bidwell (approx. 15 miles away); Rancho Del Arroyo Chico (approx. 15 miles away).
Also see . . . Bayliss Branch of Willows Public Library. "The rural Bayliss Carnegie Library is unique among California Carnegies, located "at a crossroads," in a rural unincorporated community on County Road 39 (the Blue Gum - Bayliss Road) between Willows and Chico. Among a few residences, a dairy farm, and a volunteer fire department, the small red-trimmed white stucco library identifies the community which in earlier years boasted a hotel and livery stable, later a country store and elementary school.... In 1914 Bayliss benefited from the new State policy of establishing small library "stations" in rural areas, often in private homes. Bayliss residents, with the support of Glenn County, in 1917 sought and received a $4000 Carnegie grant. Other contributors were the Sacramento Valley Irrigation Company which donated land, residents who prepared the site, University of California landscaping classes which planned the landscaping and donated the shrubs.... Architect W.H. Weeks designed the building incorporating fine interior wood detailing which still distinguishes the library.... (Submitted on December 23, 2015.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.