“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House

Chilton - Lipstate - Taylor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 5, 2015
1. Chilton - Lipstate - Taylor House Marker
Inscription. In 1887 Horace and Mary (Grinnan) Chilton acquired land in the Yarbrough addition and soon after started construction on a house for their family. The design, by an unknown architect, is reportedly modeled after Maryís childhood home in Virginia.

Horace Chilton pursued a career in law and was appointed Assistant Attorney General by Governor Oran Roberts. In 1891, Governor James Hogg appointed him to the U.S. Senate to complete the unexpired term of John H. Reagan. Chilton served a full senate term from 1895-1901 and was Texas' first native-born U.S. Senator. The Chiltons sold the property to Jacob and Rogenia Lipstate in 1903. Jacob Lipstate was a very successful Tyler merchant and real estate investor and helped organize the Chamber of Commerce in 1900. While the Lipstates owned the property, they subdivided a portion of the land into smaller lots for additional houses. The Lipstates sold the house in 1909 to W.P. Douglas, who then sold it to Gus F. and Helen (Minge) Taylor in 1910. Gus Taylor was a Smith County native who organized and was president of the Farmers and Merchants National Bank of Tyler (later the Citizens National Bank) from 1905-1944. Taylorís heirs lived here until 1955, when they sold the property to Caldwell Schools, which operated a preschool on the property until 1998.

The high style Classical
Chilton - Lipstate - Taylor House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 5, 2015
2. Chilton - Lipstate - Taylor House Marker
Revival house is the largest dwelling in the Brick Streets Historic District, and reflects late 19th century development in Smith County. Notable features include a steeply pitched hip roof, ionic columns, a cantilevered balcony, turned wood balusters and first floor window surrounds.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014

Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17993.)
Location. 32° 20.476′ N, 95° 18.299′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of South Chilton Avenue and West Rusk Street, on the right when traveling south on South Chilton Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 727 S Chilton Ave, Tyler TX 75701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Connally Home (approx. ľ mile away); Ramey House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Whitaker-McClendon House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Woman's Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Confederate Arms Factory (approx. 0.4 miles away); John B. & Ketura Douglas House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tyler Carnegie Library (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommercePolitics
Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House image. Click for full size.
By Unknown photographer, circa 1888
3. Chilton-Lipstate-Taylor House
A photograph of the home made at the time of its completion in 1888. There is no walkway and no landscaping, but the chimneys are quite prominent.

Photo courtesy of the Smith County Historical Society Archives Collection, 125 S. College, Tyler, Texas 75702
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 150 times this year. Last updated on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement