“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tehuacana in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Tehuacana Cemetery

Tehuacana Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
1. Tehuacana Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. This historic graveyard reflects the heritage of Tehuacana, an early Texas town founded in the 1840s by John Boyd (1796-1873). Elected from Sabine County to the First and Second Congresses of the Republic of Texas, Boyd moved to this part of the state and established the town's first post office in his mercantile store in 1847. His offer of land and money convinced the Cumberland Presbyterian Church to begin Trinity University here in 1869. Although no deed record exists for the cemetery, the earliest documented burial is that of Boyd's granddaughter, Roxana B. Campbell, who died in 1850 at the age of four months. Hers is one of many tombstones marking the burials of infants and children during the 19th century, bearing witness to the harshness of life on the developing Texas frontier. Others buried here include William E. Beeson (1822-1882), first president of Trinity University; James Lisbon Lawlis (1856-1902), founder and first president of Westminster College, which moved to Tehuacana after Trinity University relocated in 1902; Robert Marshall Love (1847-1903), who grew up in Tehuacana and was serving as Texas State Comptroller at the time of his death; Minnie Schuster Reck (1874-1950), who boarded college students in her home (those former students erected a memorial in her honor at the community center); and town founder John Boyd.
Tehuacana Cemetery and marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
2. Tehuacana Cemetery and marker
Remains of Texas Historical Marker visible through the gate, within the cemetery.
The Tehuacana Cemetery Association maintains the burial ground, which, at the turn of the 21st century, contained more than 800 marked burials and a number of unmarked graves.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12580.)
Location. 31° 45.158′ N, 96° 32.713′ W. Marker is in Tehuacana, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Cemetery Road (County Route 226) and Westminster Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is inside Tehuacana Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Tehuacana TX 76686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tehuacana (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Rees (approx. 0.6 miles away); United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 6.2 miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Munger Community (approx. 10.1 miles away).
More about this marker. Sometime before November 28, 2015, most of the marker was broken off. There's enough of the lower left corner of the marker to be sure, based on the text, that this is actually the Tehuacana Cemeter marker.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement