Pittsburg in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In 1911, with the coal running out and new industries on the rise, the town of Black Diamond became the city of Pittsburg.
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13
E Clampus Vitus
Erected 1995 by E Clampus Vitus Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 1.943′ N, 121° 53.09′ W. Marker is in Pittsburg, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and Marina Boulevard, on the right when traveling west on East 5th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburg CA 94565, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bank of America (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “The Steelworker in Pittsburg” Pittsburg Post Dispatch Building (about 400 feet away); Federal Relocation of Italians in America During World II (about 700 feet away); Riverview Union High School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Antioch High School Cupola (approx. 3.4 miles away); The McCoy Cook House (approx. 3.4 miles away); City of Antioch War Dog Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburg.
Also see . . . City of Pittsburg: Our History. The City of Pittsburg presents its history: "...The earliest recorded history of our town starts in the year 1839 when the Mexican government granted almost 10,000 acres to Jose Antone Mesa and Miguel Jose Garcia. Shortly thereafter the little town was named New York of the Pacific, possibly because the man who laid out the town, Colonel J.D. Stevenson, was a native of New York. This area soon became known as New York Landing and thrived on fishing and canning industries. Following the discovery of coal in the hills three miles south of town, the town was renamed Black Diamond in 1868....In 1906 Columbia Geneva Steel opened for business, and by popular vote on February 11, 1911, the name was changed to Pittsburg, after the eastern birthplace of the steel industry but without the "H" for simplified spelling." (Submitted on December 27, 2015.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.