Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hubbard in Hill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Hubbard City News

 
 
The Hubbard City News Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
1. The Hubbard City News Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. S.H. Sayer began publication of the "Hubbard City News" in 1881, the year the town was founded. The business later merged with S.R. Boyd's paper, the "Texas Pick and Pan" and the "Hubbard City Progress", a newspaper started in 1901 by brothers George and Jim Mecklin, former "City News" workers. Through their leadership and later ownership by Andy and Ralph Mecklin, the paper became a prominent publication of central Texas. In 1969 it was purchased by the News Publishing Co. of Mexia. A "City News" office at this site was destroyed by a tornado in 1973.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2589.)
 
Location. 31° 50.799′ N, 96° 47.719′ W. Marker is in Hubbard, Texas, in Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of North Magnolia Avenue (Texas Route 171) and NE 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on North Magnolia Avenue. Click for map. Marker stands with two others in front of Hubbard City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 N Magnolia Ave, Hubbard TX 76648, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hubbard (a few steps from this marker); Hometown of Tris Speaker
The Hubbard City News Marker and two others at Hubbard City Hall image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
2. The Hubbard City News Marker and two others at Hubbard City Hall
The Hubbard City News marker is the rightmost marker. The center one is about the town of Hubbard itself and the leftmost is about Tris Speaker.
(a few steps from this marker); Munger Community (approx. 6.1 miles away); United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 10.6 miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 11.2 miles away); Old Brandon Mill (approx. 16.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Communications
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement