Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Casper in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Railroads

 
 
Railroads Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2015
1. Railroads Marker
Inscription. The first passenger train arrived in this area on June 15, 1888 as part of Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad System at the site of an “old town” that would later become Casper, Wyoming. A depot was built after the tracks were extended from the “old town” at present “A” & McKinley streets, to the area of Center and Collins streets. By 1891, extra cars were added in order to handle the traffic involved with mining ventures on Casper Mountain. The Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley, or locally called Wyoming central Railroad, extended passenger service on to Shoshoni, Riverton, and Lander by 1906. The line eventually became part of the Chicago & North Western Railroad system.
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, commonly referred to as Burlington, reached Casper in October, 1913. The link through Wind River Canyon connected its Big Horn Basin line with the lines in southeastern Wyoming. Their depot in Casper was built in 1915. West of Casper, the consolidation of the parallel lines of the North Western and Burlington in 1942-23 made possible the salvage of 30,000 tons of rails for the war effort and the elimination of 87 miles of North Western Tracks. Burlington Northern now has 84.8 miles of track in Natrona County. This railroad has the distinction of being built from west to
Markers on the Wyoming History Walk in Centennial Park image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2015
2. Markers on the Wyoming History Walk in Centennial Park
east in Natrona County.
 
Erected by Natrona County Historical Society.
 
Location. 42° 50.17′ N, 106° 22.334′ W. Marker is in Casper, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker can be reached from Fort Caspar Road near Herold Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4000 Fort Caspar Road, Casper WY 82604, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salt Creek Oil Field (here, next to this marker); Ellen L. Watson (“Cattle Kate”) (here, next to this marker); Goose Egg Ranch (here, next to this marker); Casper - Natrona County - State Founding (here, next to this marker); Ranching in Wyoming (a few steps from this marker); Bridger and Bozeman Trails (a few steps from this marker); Eadsville (a few steps from this marker); Pony Express (a few steps from this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Casper.
 
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Wyoming history walk in Centennial Park, which is adjacent to the Fort Caspar Museum and shares the parking lot.
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement