Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grants Pass in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The First Brick Building in Grants Pass

 
 
The First Brick Building in Grants Pass Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 30, 2015
1. The First Brick Building in Grants Pass Marker
Inscription. Erected by Charles A. Wing in 1949, upon the site of the first brick building in Grants Pass, which was constructed by John W. Howard in 1886.
 
Location. 42° 26.328′ N, 123° 19.621′ W. Marker is in Grants Pass, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast G Street and Southeast 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on Southeast G Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Southeast 6th Street, Grants Pass OR 97526, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Perkinsville Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. 13.9 miles away); Grave Creek Ranch (approx. 13.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  John Howard Constructs Early Grants Pass Buildings. Jefferson Public Radio's short piece on John Howard's buildings in Grants Pass: "More than 125 years ago John W. Howard built the first commercial building in Grants Pass. As soon as the surveyor had measured out the lots, Howard bought one at the southeast corner of Sixth Street and Front, which is now G Street. He moved his merchandise tent from its former location to his new lot.... While continuing to sell from a tent, Howard started construction on a wooden building to replace
The First Brick Building in Grants Pass Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, December 30, 2015
2. The First Brick Building in Grants Pass Marker - Wide View
The marker is visible here just to the left of the building entrance, just above the brick beltline.
it. He hired Edwin Smith, the first carpenter to come to Grants Pass. For years, the Howard family kept an old, beaten hammer inscribed with these words, “This hammer drove the first nail in the first building in Grants Pass, Oregon, October 19, 1883.... In a move reminiscent of the Three Little Pigs, Howard demolished the wooden structure and constructed the city’s first brick building three years later at the same location...."
(Submitted on December 31, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement