Watertown in Codington County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1835 Joseph LaFramboise had trade post at Two Woods Lake (Chanopa.
1838 Nicollet & Fremont , explorers, visited SE Codington County.
1840 Rev. Stephen Return Riggs enroute, Lac Qui Parle to Ft. Pierre, traversed the area.
1856 Capt. Alfred Sully surveyed the road site.
1858 Kintzing Prichette, Special Indian Agent, counciled with Yankton Indians at Lake Kampeska (Shining Shell).
1860 Capt. W.M. Gardner, 2nd U.S. Inf. passed Kampeska enroute Ft. Randall to Ft. Abercrombie.
1862 Lt. Col. Wm. R. Marshall, 7th Minn. Inf. pursued and captured fugitive Indians near Goose Nest Lake west of Kampeska.
1869 Sisseton & Wahpeton triangular reserve established with S point at Lake Kampeska.
1871 James P. Warner, itinerant trapper, at Lake Kampeska. David D. Keeler also at Lake in 1872 as was Joel B. Montgomery first permanent settler.
1873 Winona & St. Peters RR Co., to secure land grant laid rails to Kampeska outlet and ran excursion from Chicago on September 15th.
1874 First postal service, Gary to Kampeska.
1877 Codington County, named for Rev. G.S. Codington, created by legislature from parts of Grant, Clark and Hamlin Counties.
1878 Mrs. Oliver H. Tarbell, first white woman in county, arrived with husband April 4th and settled east shore Kampeska. Kemp P.O., Oscar P.
1879 Watertown P.O. Frank Howard P.M. Est. March 28; Kemp P.O. discontinued April 14 and Kemp aptd. P.M. Watertown.
1880 Commissioners set May 20th for election on incorporation of Watertown and an unanimous vote being reported duly incorporated town on July 5th.
Erected 1956 by Chamber of Commerce, Mellette House Foundation and State Highway Commission.
Location. 44° 53.426′ N, 97° 7.412′ W. Marker is in Watertown, South Dakota, in Codington County. Marker is at the intersection of 9th Ave. SW and 3rd St. SW, on the right when traveling west on 9th Ave. SW. Click for map. Near the Watertown Family Aquatic Center. Marker is in this post office area: Watertown SD 57201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Codington County Courthouse (approx. ¾ mile away); Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum (approx. one mile away).
Also see . . . Codington County Heritage Museum. This link go to the museum just down the street. (Submitted on December 31, 2015, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.