Troup in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Omen (Canton) Community
When the International & Great Northern Railroad bypassed Canton in the 1870s, many businesses moved away. In 1880 the town and post office adopted the name Omen. For 30 years, Omen was the location of the Summer Hill Select School, a coeducational boarding school directed by A. W. Orr (1849-1924) of Georgia. This highly-regarded institution drew students from all parts of Texas as well as from out of state.
The closing of the post office in 1906 and the school hastened Omen's decline. Oil discoveries during the 1930s revived the community briefly, but with the depression the population dwindled further and Omen became a rural village.
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7747.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Troup TX 75789, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Franklin Overton (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Whitehouse (approx. 6.3 miles away); James Calhoun Hill (approx. 8.9 miles away); Headache Springs, C.S.A. (approx. 11.5 miles away); Colonel Richard B. Hubbard / Governor R. B. Hubbard (approx. 12 miles away); Thomas Glover Pollard, Sr. (approx. 12.8 miles away); Tyler Junior College (approx. 13.2 miles away); Ordnance Plant (approx. 13.9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.