Evansville in Natrona County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The Bridge of the Emigration
In the winter of 1852-1853 John Richard (pronounced Reshaw) and his business associates including his brother Joseph and Joseph Bissonette, began construction of the bridge that stood at this site for thirteen years. It was completed in time for the Oregon and California emigrations of 1853.
An Oregon emigrant, John Murray, wrote on June 9, 1853: "The bridge is a substantial structure - it as 8 wood framed piers filled & sunk with rock & the reaches are supported by heavy braces. The sides are railed up & bottom planked. The bridge is about 150 yards long & comes out this side (north) on a high rock bank... At each end of the bridge are Indian lodges and trading houses & a blacksmith shop, Above the bridge a mile is another trading post where they have lots of horses and mules to sell or trade."
In 1859 another-bridge across the Platte was built by Louis Guinard
At the end of the 1864 travel season Richard closed his trading post at the bridge and moved everything to his store at Platte Bridge Station. In 1865 he sold his operations and left the area. Early in 1866 the army dismantled Richard's Bridge and hauled the timber to the post at the upper bridge, newly named Fort Caspar. It was used as firewood and building materials.
Erected 2000 by Oregon-California Trails Association.
Location. 42° 52.206′ N, 106° 16.026′ W. Marker is in Evansville, Wyoming, in Natrona County. Marker is on Platte Park Road near Cemetery Road (Curtis Road), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evansville WY 82636, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Casper (approx. 3.1 miles away); Pioneer Monument / Fort Casper (approx. 3.2 miles away); Monument Corrections (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oregon-California Trail (approx. 3.3 miles away); Giving Shape to History (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Armory (approx. 3.7 miles away); Wyoming's Oil & Gas (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (approx. 3.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker and a reconstructed bridge are located in Reshaw Park.
Also see . . . Reshaw's Bridge -- WyoHistory. During the fall of 1852, an experienced mountain trader named John Baptiste Richard, along with Joseph Bissonette, Charles Bordeaux, Louis Guinard and William Kenceleur, began building the first successful bridge to span the North Platte River. Earlier bridges, built just a few years before, were dismal failures destroyed by spring flooding. This bridge was constructed only a quarter of a mile above The California Crossing and, until 1860 was known simply as The Bridge or Platte Bridge. (Submitted on January 4, 2016, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.