Near Clear Lake in Deuel County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
This area contains many of the threads that were woven into the settlement of Dakota Territory. These rest areas are in Deuel County, which was created in 1862 by the first Territorial Legislature. In 1872 one of the first railroads penetrated into Dakota Territory at present-day Gary, 20 miles northeast of here, prior to settlement of much of this region. In pioneer days the status of a county seat was a clear distinction for a community, and many bitter wrangles preceded final selection. Clear Lake contested with Gary until 1890, when Clear Lake was finally successful in gaining the coveted status. For such winners, there were also losers; Castlewood, 12 miles west of here in Hamlin County, was the County seat from 1884 to 1914, when it lost that honor to Hayti. Religion was important to many settlers, as evidenced by the site of the Tabor Evangelical
There is no singular historic distinction to this particular rest area site, other than that it is a part of the stage for greater happenings, a witness to the tides of history.
Erected by State of South Dakota.
Location. 44° 41.898′ N, 96° 50.524′ W. Marker is near Clear Lake, South Dakota, in Deuel County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 29 at milepost 160, 3 miles from 188th St.. Click for map. This rest area is only reachable going North on Interstate 29. At the rest area you can find the marker located at an overlook area a short walk behind the main building. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Lake SD 57226, United States of America.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 203 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.