“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coolidge in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Armour Cemetery

Armour Cemetery Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
1. Armour Cemetery Texas Historical Marker
Inscription. Established in 1878, this burial ground served the former community of Armour. The cemetery is located on property deeded by community founder, James Armour (d. 1896). For school, church and burial purposes. James Armour was born in 1825 in Jackson County, Georgia, and was a landowner, community and church leader, and Civil War veteran. Armour married Narita Jane Kennedy (d. 1902) in 1849; the couple had ten children. In 1882, James Armour laid out the community of Sandy Creek, which later bore his name. By 1884, the settlement, one of the earliest in Northern Limestone County, had two churches, a school district and two gristmills. The Armour Community quickly declined after 1903, when the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railroad established a new town, Coolidge, along tracks set one mile north of here. Businesses and other establishments, including the Sandy Creek Baptist Church (now First Baptist Church of Coolidge), moved to the new community.

The oldest marked graves here are for Annie Lou Hooper and her husband, James E. Hooper, who both died in 1878. Also interred are community leaders, area pioneers and veterans of military conflicts dating to the Civil War. Cemetery features include vertical stones, curbing and fraternal monuments.

The cemetery is divided into four sections; Old Armour, New Armour, the Norwegian
Armour Cemetery with Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, November 28, 2015
2. Armour Cemetery with Marker
Cemetery and the Catholic Cemetery which is known locally as the Mexican Cemetery. The Coolidge Cemetery Association maintains the first three sections, while descendants care for the Catholic Cemetery. Today, Armour Cemetery is the last remaining vestige of the historic Armour Community, and continues to serve descendants of this area's early pioneers.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2007
Marker is Property of the State of Texas

Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15496.)
Location. 31° 44.139′ N, 96° 39.405′ W. Marker is in Coolidge, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 186 and County Road 185 on County Road 186. Click for map. This marker stands just inside the Armour Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Coolidge TX 76635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 1.3 miles away); Munger Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); Tehuacana (approx. 6.6 miles away); William Rees (approx. 6.6 miles away); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Hubbard City News (approx. 11.2 miles away); Hubbard (approx. 11.2 miles away); Hometown of Tris Speaker (approx. 11.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Coolidge.
Regarding Armour Cemetery. The Hill Cemetery and New Armour Cemetery are both across CR 186 from the Armour Cemetery. Hill Cemetery is across CR 185 from the New Armour Cemetery.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 162 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement