Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Judge Morris Estate

 
 
Judge Morris Estate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
1. Judge Morris Estate Marker
Inscription. This estate, now owned and operated by Delaware State Parks, was once known as Chestnut Hill and contains a manor house and approximately 500 acres of land. John Barclay acquired the property after the American Revolution and in 1792 built the main five-bay, two and a half story stone house. In 1808 the land was sold to Andrew Gray, a Delaware State Senator (1817 to 1821) and a founder of the University of Delaware. During the 1820s Gray added the one and a half story west wind of the house. The estate remained in the Gray family until 1865 when it was sold to Robert Cook who farmed the land for nine years until his death in 1874. For the next 60 years the house was occupied by a series of tenant farmers and it fell into disrepair. In 1934 Hugh M. Morris, a native of Greenwood, Delaware, bought the property as well as an adjoining 30 acre farm. He restored the structure in a Colonial Revival style and added the modern kitchen wing to the north side of the main house. Morris was a prominent lawyer and was appointed Judge of the U.S. District Court by President Woodrow Wilson. He served on the University of Delaware Board of Trustees from 1929-1959 and was the President of the Board for 20 years.After his death in 1966 Judge Morris' estate was left to the University of Delaware. In 1998 the State of Delaware purchased the estate and incorporated
Judge Morris Estate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
2. Judge Morris Estate Marker
it into White Clay Creek State Park.
 
Erected 2013 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-196.)
 
Location. 39° 42.189′ N, 75° 42.577′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Polly Drummond Hill Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19711, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Judge Morris Estate (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Meeteer House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Robert Kirkwood, Jr. (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); St. John the Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hiram Lodge No. 25 (approx. 2.5 miles away); New Century Club (approx. 2.5 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newark.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Judge Morris Estate image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
3. Judge Morris Estate
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement