“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hockessin in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse

Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
1. Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse Marker
Inscription. The Hockessin Friends Meeting has operated with an active membership and regular services, known as Meetings for Worship, since its founding. The Meeting is part of the larger Philadelphia Yearly Meeting faith community.

The expansion of the Religious Society of Friends in the Mill Creek Hundred during the 1730s spurred the organization of the Hockessin Friends Meeting. Members in this area who previously attended the Centre Monthly Meeting wanted to establish a place of worship closer to their homes. Early meetings were held in the home of William Cox until two tracts of land were acquired in 1737 for a burial ground and construction of a meetinghouse. The one-story fieldstone building was constructed in 1738 and later enlarged with a side addition in 1745. As one of the only established houses of worship in colonial Hockessin, the meetinghouse became the center of social and religious life in the community. In addition, it is believed that the meetinghouse operated the only school in the Hockessin area during the late 1700s and early 1800s. The meetinghouse played a brief role in the American Revolution on the night of September 9, 1777 when British troops under the command of Lord Cornwallis stopped to camp here enroute to the Battle of the Brandywine.

The meetinghouse was named to the National Register of Historic Places in

Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
2. Hockessin Friends Meetinghouse
Erected 2013 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-198.)
Location. 39° 47.56′ N, 75° 41.453′ W. Marker is in Hockessin, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Old Wilmington Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1501 Old Wilmington Road, Hockessin DE 19707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John The Evangelist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chippey African Union Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Hockessin School #107C (approx. 0.7 miles away); First African-American Schoolhouse In Hockessin (approx. mile away); James Henry "Nip" Winters (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tweed's Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ashland Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); St. Mary's Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hockessin.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
Hockessin Friends Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 9, 2016
3. Hockessin Friends Cemetery
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 115 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement