Douglas in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center
Following the end of Indian hostilities in the late 1870's, the grasslands of what is now Converse County became home to hundreds of thousands of Texas Longhorns. In the early 1880's the open-range cattle industry flourished, promising great profits to stockmen and buyers, if herds could be marketed in the east. The keys were the railroads, which had been laying track at an increasingly rapid rate following the conclusion of the Civil War.
In 1885, the United States Congress granted the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad the right to cross the Fort Robinson Military Reservation in Nebraska. On August 26, 1886, the railroad reached what was to be known as the new town of Douglas.
The Depot was built in 1886 and was open continuously until the 1950's, when the Chicago and Northwester Railroad (FE&MV's successor), closed the doors to the passenger depot. The C&NW Depot was then used for freight storage and company use until the mid 1970's. The C&NW abandoned its tracks and facilities
The Interpretive Center site includes the Depot structure, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as a seven car train display donated to the City by the Wyoming Department of Agriculture in 1993. This comprehensive collection of railroad equipment makes up an outdoor museum of railroad history.
Erected by Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center.
Location. 42° 45.532′ N, 105° 23.241′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on Brownfield Road (County Route 61) near West Center Street (Business Interstate 25), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Brownfield Road, Douglas WY 82633, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fairmont Motor Car (here, next to this marker); Good Roads Club (here, next to this marker); Union Pacific Railroad Baggage Car (a few steps from this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Dining Car (a few steps from this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633 (a few steps from this marker); Chicago & Northwestern Railway (C&NW) Steel Sheathed Wooden Day Coach (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Northern Railway (GN) Sleeping Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Wooden Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center which also houses the Douglas Chamber of Commerce and the Converse County Tourism Board.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.