Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Douglas in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Good Roads Club

 
 
Good Roads Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
1. Good Roads Club Marker
Inscription. The "Good Roads Club" was incorporated in Douglas in 1910 with 119 members and capitalization of $50,000. It was a popular social club with a primary goal to establish a way to improve the road system to enjoy the new automobile.
In 1918, the "Good Roads Club" voted to become the Douglas Chamber of Commerce. One of the first projects was enlisting moral and financial support for the development of Yellowstone Highway, our west entrance into Douglas.
Yellowstone Highway for years was lined with large boulders painted yellow to mark the trail to Yellowstone Park.
 
Erected by Douglas Chamber of Commerce.
 
Location. 42° 45.536′ N, 105° 23.242′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Wyoming, in Converse County. Marker is on Brownfield Road (County Route 61) near West Center Street (Business Interstate 25), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Brownfield Road, Douglas WY 82633, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center (here, next to this marker); Fairmont Motor Car (a few steps from this marker); Union Pacific Railroad Baggage Car
Good Roads Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 18, 2015
2. Good Roads Club Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Dining Car (a few steps from this marker); Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633 (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago & Northwestern Railway (C&NW) Steel Sheathed Wooden Day Coach (within shouting distance of this marker); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Wooden Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Great Northern Railway (GN) Sleeping Car (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Douglas.
 
More about this marker. This marker is located at the Douglas Railroad Interpretive Center which also houses the Douglas Chamber of Commerce and the Converse County Tourism Board. The marker is mounted on the side of the historic Chicago and Northwestern Railroad Depot.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement