Port Royal, Kingston, Jamaica
Fort Charles, built in 1656, is the oldest fort in Jamaica. Originally named Fort Cromwell, it was renamed in 1662 to honour Charles II, restored King of England. The original armament of 10 guns was increased to 36 in 1667 and to 104 in 1765. When built, the fort was almost completely surrounded by water, but the area around it eventually silted up.
This fort, one of six located in Port Royal, served to guard the entrance to the Kingston Harbour. It was the only one of Port Royal's forts to survive the 1692 earthquake. Damaged, it was reconstructed in 1699 by Colonel Christian Lilly, chief engineer of Jamaica.
Location. 17° 56.115′ N, 76° 50.552′ W. Marker is in Port Royal, Kingston. Marker can be reached from Tower Street. Click for map. The marker is to the left of the main entrance to Fort Charles in Port Royal.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horatio Nelson in Jamaica (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1907 and 1957 Jamaica Earthquakes (within shouting distance of this marker); H.M.S. "Aboukir" (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); Lucas Barrett The Historic Royal Naval Hospital (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Welcome to Port Royal (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); 'Ye Olde Parade Bar' (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Royal.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.