Tehuacana in Limestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town is on Mexican land grant obtained 1835 by John Boyd, member First Congress Republic of Texas. In 1847 Boyd became first postmaster, and in 1849 nominated Tehuacana for capital of State of Texas. However, Austin won in election held in 1850.
Tehuacana Academy, a Presbyterian school locally organized and supported, operated ten years. It was organized and supported, operated ten years. It was closed during Civil War, but furnished incentive (with help of Boyd) for founding in 1869 of Trinity University. Boyd's gift of 1,520 acres of land for college use includes present campus, where Trinity (now in San Antonio) operated until 1902.
School plant was deeded to Methodist Protestant Church, which relocated here Westminster College, one of first junior colleges (1916) in Texas. The Congregational Methodist Church bought the property in 1953 and now operates Westminster College and Bible Institute on the historic campus. (1967)
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey
Location. 31° 44.618′ N, 96° 32.744′ W. Marker is in Tehuacana, Texas, in Limestone County. Marker is at the intersection of College Avenue and Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east on College Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tehuacana TX 76686, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Rees (here, next to this marker); Tehuacana Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); United Methodist Church of Coolidge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Armour Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Munger Community (approx. 10.3 miles away).
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of Westminster College.
Categories. • Education • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.