“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Antioch Baptist Church

Antioch Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, January 18, 2016
1. Antioch Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Records of the Smith County Baptist Association indicate that this congregation was established in 1851. Members held worship services in homes and in the local schoolhouse until they built their first sanctuary in 1857. Since the church had only part-time pastors, Sunday School classes and the Baptist Young People's Union met on Sundays even when a preacher could not be there. By 1936, Antioch had a half-time pastor. A new church building, completed in 1939, was enhanced by an education annex in 1953. Serving the rural Sand Flat community, Antioch Baptist Church continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12495.)
Location. 32° 29.29′ N, 95° 16.969′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on County Road 313W 0.2 miles west of State Park Highway (Farm to Market Road 14), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 793 CR-313W, Tyler TX 75706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scouts of Texas Army (approx. 4.1 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859
Antioch Baptist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, January 18, 2016
2. Antioch Baptist Church and Marker
Local tradition holds that the church bell shown in the image dates back to the establishment of the church.
(approx. 4.1 miles away); Shamburger Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Damascus Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Hopewell Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pine Springs Baptist Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Our Land - Our Heritage (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Antioch Baptist Church. The Church and community are located on the original route of the Dallas-Shreveport road which dates back to 1842. The community cemetery is across the road from the Church.
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement