Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal, Mexico — The Central Highlands
The Parish of the Natives
La Parroquia de los Indios
Mas tarde en 1694 el 5 de marzo se le empezaron a agregar 13.00 Mts. mas, corriendo los gastos a cargo del Lic. Ventura de Medina y del Capitan Pedro Ruiz de Castañeda
Fue entonces cuando se le construyeron la portada sur y la portada poniente
This building known as the “Parish of the Natives” was first built to 14.80 meters in length, between 1640 and 1650 by Lazo de Vega.
Later on March 5, 1694 another 13.00 meters was added, with the expenses paid by Ventura de Medina and Captain Pedro Ruiz de Castañeda.
This southern entrance and the western entrance were built at that time.
Location. 19° 29.107′ N, 99° 6.942′ W. Marker is in Ciudad de Mexico, Distrito Federal. Marker can be reached from Calzada de Guadalupe just from Zumarraga. Click for map. The marker is to the right of the entrance to the Parroquia de los Indios at the Shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Banner of Atotonilco and the Parish of the Natives (here, next to this marker); Chapel of the Well José María Morelos y Pavón Stopped to Pray Here (within shouting distance of this marker); The Virgin of Guadalupe and Juan Diego (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Francisco Primo de Verdad y Ramos (about 120 meters away); Tepeyac Chapel (about 120 meters away); The Reign of Cuauhtemoctzin (approx. 4.3 kilometers away); Momoztli: a neighborhood altar (approx. 4.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Ciudad de Mexico.
Regarding The Parish of the Natives. The secondary marker above this main marker reads: 1895-1945, Aqui fue venerada la imagen original de Santa Maria de Guadalupe, desde el 25 de marzo de 1695, en que fue trasladada para demoler su templo y levantar el actual hasta el 30 de abril de 1709 en que fue restituida a su nueva santuario.
English: 1895-1945, Here the original image of Saint Mary of Guadalupe was venerated from March 25, 1695, when it was moved in order to demolish its temple. It was returned to its new sanctuary when the present temple was finished on April 30, 1709.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 148 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.