Winona in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bypassing of Starrville by the Tyler Tap Railroad in the 1870s brought population losses. In 1907 the post office and the Masonic Lodge were removed to Winona. The schools of Starrville and Baker Springs were consolidated in 1924, and later were merged with the Winona public school system.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7760.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winona TX 75792, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Starrville Community Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Winona (approx. 3.4 miles away); Elisha Everett Lott (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Kay House (approx. 4.1 miles away); Camp Fannin Internment Camp (approx. 5.4 miles away); Camp Fannin (approx. 5.4 miles away); Nicholas Wren 1807-1859 (approx. 5.9 miles away); Harris Creek Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Winona.
Regarding Starrville Community. The Community is on the original route of the Dallas-Shreveport road, that dates back to 1842. It was also a crossroads of the Walter's Bluff and Omen road, with Walter's Bluff being a ferry and crossing on the Sabine River, about three miles north of Starrville.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.