“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Penn Farm

Penn Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 18, 2016
1. Penn Farm Marker
Inscription. The 112-acre Penn Farm is the last surviving farm of the 1,068-acre New Castle Common. William Penn, Proprietor and Governor of Pennsylvania, made his warrant in writing under his hand and seal in October 1701, granting the New Castle Common “to lye in Common for the accommodation of the Inhabitants of the Town of New Castle for their onley use and behoof forever”. The Common served as both pasture land for livestock and a source of wood for inhabitants of New Castle. It is held in trust and managed by the Trustees of the New Castle Common, a private land trust first chartered in 1764. In 1792, the Board of Trustees divided the Common into eleven tenant farms for lease. The first tenant was local businessman and Trustee, John Crow, who constructed a house upon the historic farmstead in stages between 1799 and 1828. A granary and dairy barn date to the mid-19th century. This tract of land was later named in honor of the proprietary Penn family and today is a combination of original farms No. 6 and No. 11. The Penn Farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Location. 39° 39.898′ N, 75° 35.521′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Frenchtown Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map
Penn Farm House and Barn image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, January 18, 2016
2. Penn Farm House and Barn
. Marker is at or near this postal address: 807 Frenchtown Road, New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Bellanca Airfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); The River Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Booker T. Washington School No. 109C (approx. 1.4 miles away); New Castle United Methodist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Historic Museum (approx. 1.5 miles away); Van Dyke House (approx. 1.5 miles away); The Green or Market Plaine (approx. 1.5 miles away); New Castle Court House 1732 (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Castle.
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 229 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement