Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bayeux in Calvados Département, Basse-Normandie, France — Lower Normandy (Atlantic Coast)
 

L'Esplanade Flachat

Flachat Esplanade

 

—Bayeux, la Qualité a ses Racines —

 
L'Esplanade Flachat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., July 1, 2015
1. L'Esplanade Flachat Marker
Inscription. En française:
L'ensemble cathédral se prolonge au nord par différents bâtiments affectés à l'usage du chapitre (membres du clergé de la cathédrale).

La bâtiment adossé à la tour nord est la salle capitulaire, lieu de réunion du chapitre. Datant de la fin du XIIe siècle, sa partie supérieure située au niveau de la rue est réaménagée au cours des XIV-XVe siècles. Accessible uniquement de l'intérieur de la cathédrale, elle repose sur une salle basse ouvrant quant à elle sur la cour située en contrebas.

Dans son prolongement, on trouvait jusqu'à la fin du XIXe siècle deux édifices également affectés au chapitre. Ils abritaient la chambre du conseil (tribunal ecclésiastique), le chartrier et un grenier. La fenêtre du XIIe siècle qui a été replacée sur un mur aveugle en haut des escaliers en est le seul vestige conservé.

En contrebas au centre de la cour autrefois entourée d'un cloître, est implantée la bibliotèque du chapitre édifiée entre 1429 et 1436. Au-delà, appuyée sur le transept nord, se situe la sacristie de la cathédrale, bâtiment néo-gothique édifié en 1900.

L'ensemble cathédral était autrefois invisible de la rue. Celle-ci était bordée par de petits magasins (les soppes), propriétés du chapitre loués à des particuliers. Il s'agissait
L'Esplanade Flachat Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., July 1, 2015
2. L'Esplanade Flachat Marker
de maisons peu profondes de deux ou trois étages, détruites dans la deuxième moitié du XIXe siècle afin d'élargir la rue. Le marquage au sol en évoue aujourd'hui l'emplacement.

En face, la maison d'Adam et Eve (fin du XVe siècle) abritait elle-même d'anciennes échoppes au rez'de'chaussée. Remarquable par son décor sculpté, elle accueille aujourd'hui le "Conservatoire de la dentelle", atelier d'art qui poursuit une tradition dont l'origine remonte à Bayeux à la fin du XVIIe siècle.

English:
The Cathedral complex extends to the north with various buildings used by the Chapter (members of the Cathedral clergy).

The building backing on the north tower is the Chapter House, the Chapter's meeting place. Its upper story, situated at street level, dagtes from the 14th and 15th centuries.

Up to the end of the 19th centruy, as a continuation of this building, there existed two other buildings also used by the Chapter : the Council Chamber (ecclesiastical court), the Charter Room and the Granary. The only remaining vestige is the bricked-up 12th century window at the top of the staircase.

On the lower level, in the centre of the courtyard, we find the Chapter Library, built between 1429 and 1436, and then the Cathedral Vestry built in the 1900.

In olden days, the Cathedral complex could not be seen from the street. The latter was lined with small shops, belonging to the Chapter, and rented out to shopkeepers. Destroyed in the 19th century, marks on the ground indicate the location of these buildings.

Opposite, Adam and Eve's House (late 15th century) used to accommodate shops on its ground floor. Today it is home the Consdervatoire de la Dentelle (Lace Conservatory).
 
Erected by La ville de Bayeux. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Location. 49° 16.559′ N, 0° 42.226′ W. Marker is in Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, in Calvados Département. Marker is at the intersection of Passage Flachat and Rue du Bienvenu on Passage Flachat. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bayeux, Basse-Normandie 14400, France.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le palais Episcopal (within shouting distance of this marker); Le Doyen du Chapitre (within shouting distance of this marker); 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Les Abords du Chevet de la Cathédrale (about 120 meters away); Un édifice du Xe siècle (about 120 meters away); Le Rempart Gallo-Roman (about 120 meters away); Le Quartier du Pont Saint-Jean (about 210 meters away); Autour des Augustines (about 240 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Bayeux.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement