Sebastian County Seat of Justice
The permanent seat of justice in Sebastian County, created in 1851 was located on a site to which was given the name of Greenwood. In 1861 another court house was erected at Ft. Smith and since then the county has maintained two seats of justice. The county was named for William K. Sebastian, a United States Senator 1849-1861.
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission and Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number A14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 23.157′ N, 94° 25.582′ W. Marker is in Fort Smith, Arkansas, in Sebastian County. Marker is on 6th Street (Arkansas Route 255) south of Rogers Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the county courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35 South 6th Street, Fort Smith AR 72901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Moon Tree (a few steps from this marker); Our Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Purple Heart Memorial
Also see . . .
1. Sebastian County, Arkansas, Official Website. (Submitted on January 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Sebastian County, Arkansas. (Submitted on January 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.