Montego Bay, Saint James, Jamaica
Fort Montego Cannons
Cannons were used in forts for the defence of harbours. Fort Montego had seventeen (17) cannons mounted in its heyday. Three (3) remain, two (2) dated 1810 and one (1) 1813.
These are cast iron cannons manufactured by the Carron and Company Works in Falkirk, Scotland. They are mounted on iron garrison carriages, then state of the art, firing shot weighing 24 pounds, hence known as 'twenty four pounders', taking up to 13 men to fire them.
Erected by Jamaica National Heritage Trust.
Location. 18° 28.696′ N, 77° 55.56′ W. Marker is in Montego Bay, Saint James. Marker can be reached from Fort Street just from Gloucester Avenue. Click for map. The marker is on the southern part of the fort grounds.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Montego History (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Montego Armoury (within shouting distance of this marker); Montego Bay History (within shouting distance of this marker).
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, Non-US •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.