The surviving original building fabric of the Leedsville Schoolhouse sustains its architectural and historical integrity. On the exterior, the schoolhouse retains its original size, massing and symmetry, as well as its large windows and the centrally-located entrance. The original cupola and one end window, both seen in the historic photograph at far left, were removed and the entrance doors replaced. On the interior, the school retains its original single classroom (photo above) with vestibule configuration, as well as original finishes, including the wainscoting, plaster, blackboard, and trim (photo at left). The flooring and beaded-board ceiling were added when the interior was divided into two rooms, although that divider has since been removed.
The ungraded school served 65-70 students, aged 5-18, annually in a single classroom space from 1873- 1894. In 1895, the space was divided into two classrooms and the students were separated into primary and upper grade classes. By 1908, the number of students had outgrown the building and a new school was constructed on Belhaven Avenue.
Listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places in 1984.
Funded in part by the Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund.
Erected by Linwood Historical Society.
Location. 39° 21.055′ N, 74° 34.04′ W. Marker is in Linwood, New Jersey, in Atlantic County. Marker is on West Poplar Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16 West Poplar Avenue, Linwood NJ 08221, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Linwood Historic District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friends Meeting House and Burying Ground (approx. half a mile away); Thomas Morris House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jeremiah Leeds Grave (approx. 1.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Zion United Methodist Church
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.