Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
First Council of the City of Guatemala
First Council of the New Guatemala of the Assumption
el Primer Cabildo
Ciudad de Guatemala,
el 2 de enero de 1776.
Guatemala, Ciudad Bicentenaria
Municipalidad de Guatemala
2 de enero de 1976.
Here was celebrated
The First City Council of the
City of Guatemala.
January 2, 1776.
Guatemala, Bicentennial City
Municipality of Guatemala
January 2, 1976.
Erected 1976 by Municipality of Guatemala City and the City Council.
Location. 14° 39.044′ N, 90° 29.936′ W. Marker is in Guatemala City, Guatemala. Marker is on Calle Marti 0 kilometers from 15 Avenida, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Across the street from the church of La Parroquia, on the side of the building (2016 Banco Industrial).
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lieutenant Colonel and Engineer Francisco Vela (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Engineer Francisco Vela (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Engineer Claudio Urrutia M. (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Assassination of Bishop Juan José Gerardi Conedera (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); First Cathedral in Guatemala City Myrna Elizabeth Mack Chang (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); Mariano Guerrero de Léon (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Guatemalan Revolution of 1944 (approx. 1.8 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Guatemala City.
Regarding First Council of the City of Guatemala. "La Nueva Guatemala de La Asuncion" was founded on January 2, 1776. This was the fourth and last time that the center of the Kingdom and Captaincy of Guatemala relocated to a new province. The previous location, Ciudad Santiago de Los Caballeros (known today as Antigua), was nearly destroyed by the earthquakes on St. Martha's Day, July 29, 1773.
The complexity of the financial stakes, internal municipal conflicts, ecclesiastical and social pressures, and ancient-regime control, all influenced the debates over the city's relocation. On July 21, 1775, King Charles III of Spain ordered a Royal Decree to the President of the Audience of Guatemala authorizing the construction of the new city.
On January 2, 1776, Officials of the City Council (Primer Cabildo) met for the first time in the Ayuntamiento building, in an area of the current city limits known
A marker, near the church of La Parroquia, commemorates this monumental event.
Also see . . . Bicentennial of Guatemala City. (Submitted on March 3, 2016, by Jo Solorzano of Guatemala City, Guatemala.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jo Solorzano of Guatemala City, Guatemala. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Jo Solorzano of Guatemala City, Guatemala. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.