“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Daviston in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Daviston, Alabama/Daviston School

Daviston, Alabama (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
1. Daviston, Alabama (side 1)
Inscription. (side 1)
Daviston, Alabama

Daviston, incorporated February 16, 1887, is believed to be the first incorporated rural town in Tallapoosa County. The first mayor was J.D. Dunn. Daviston was a natural evolution of the opening of Indian lands in 1832. Much of the Federal Horse Path was within Creek Indian lands. With construction of Chapman Road from West Point, Georgia to Fort Williams, Alabama on the Coosa River, land areas opened to white settlement. Daviston flourished with improved roads and became a hub of migration. It had grist and saw mills, a blacksmith shop, buggy shop, coffin shop, general mercantile, public well, federal distillery, six saloons or inns, pharmacy and doctors. The first land deed found was dated in 1836 to S.W. Monk. The post office was established in 1853 with John Davis as the first postmaster. The story told over the years is that he used his own name for the town name. When he submitted the name to the government, due to poor penmanship or a mistake, "Davis Town" became Daviston and has since remained.

(side 2)
Daviston School

In 1883, Walker Allen and his twin, Walter, moved to Daviston. Walker Allen was elected principal of Daviston School. In 1884, a wooden two-story building was started on land given by J.T. Moncus to be called Daviston
Daviston, Alabama Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
2. Daviston, Alabama Marker
College. It became a high school around 1912. This building burned in 1923. Another building was built and burned before being used. A third building was constructed in 1923 and received accreditation that year. Lillie Thompson, who graduated in 1916, was the first graduate of Daviston High School. The school closed in 1988. At the time of closing, it was the smallest school in Alabama with 120 K-12 students. Thirty-eight principals served from 1883-1988. For 105 years, Daviston School served as the center of the community. In 1998, a committee formed to initiate a Daviston School Reunion to be held annually in the center of the town on the second Saturday of November.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Daviston.
Location. 33° 3.161′ N, 85° 38.457′ W. Marker is in Daviston, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is on Alabama Route 22 east of Drake Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Daviston AL 36256, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louina (approx. 6.6 miles away); Tecumseh and the Prophets (approx. 7.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Horseshoe Bend Campaign Combatants
Daviston School Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
3. Daviston School Marker (side 2)
(approx. 7.3 miles away); A Bloody Contest (approx. 7.4 miles away); Horseshoe Bend National Military Park (approx. 7.4 miles away); Major Lemuel P. Montgomery (approx. 7.6 miles away); Jackson Trace (approx. 7.6 miles away); Gun Hill (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Daviston.
Categories. EducationSettlements & Settlers
Daviston School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
4. Daviston School Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 135 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement