Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camp Hill in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Universalist Church of Camp Hill

 
 
First Universalist Church of Camp Hill Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
1. First Universalist Church of Camp Hill Marker (front)
Inscription. (front)
The First Universalist Church of Camp Hill was the largest Universalist church in the southeastern United States in the first half of the 20th century. With roots in the European Enlightenment, Universalism was transplanted to the American colonies by religious sojourners and was flourishing in this country by the time of the Revolutionary War. A Christian denomination, the defining tenet of Universalism was “universal“ salvation, the belief that a gentle God would not condemn any soul to a literal hell. The Universalist Church of America merged with the Unitarian Association in 1961, forming the Unitarian Universalist Association.
(Continued on other side)
(back)
(Continued from other side)
The First Universalist Church of Camp Hill was established in 1846, as Liberty Universalist Church. The name was changed in 1909. The original meeting pace was a brush arbor on the present site of Mt. Lovely Baptist Church. A simple cabin soon replaced the arbor and served until 1884, when a larger wood-framed church was built on this site. Membership burgeoned, and the striking brick sanctuary was completed in 1907. Designed by Daniel A. Helmich, a Birmingham architect, the church was built with local labor using mostly indigenous material.
First Universalist Church of Camp Hill Marker (back) image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
2. First Universalist Church of Camp Hill Marker (back)

 
Erected 2013 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 48.249′ N, 85° 39.127′ W. Marker is in Camp Hill, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Senator Claude Pepper Drive (Alabama Route 50) and Oak Street, on the left when traveling west on Senator Claude Pepper Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camp Hill AL 36850, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edward Bell High School/Alma Mater (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lyman Ward Military Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fletcher Napoleon Farrington, Sr. (approx. 6.7 miles away); Johnson J. Hooper (approx. 6.7 miles away); Tallapoosa County Peace Officers (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alabama Mills WWII Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Tallapoosa County World War I Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Battle Of Horseshoe Bend (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Camp Hill.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Universalist Church of Camp Hill image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, January 29, 2016
3. First Universalist Church of Camp Hill
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement