“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stamford in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Stamford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
1. Stamford Marker

Inscription. Swedish native Swante Magnus Swenson and his two sons, Eric Pierson and Swen Albin Swenson, came to Texas in 1882 to establish the SMS ranches. In 1899, Eric P. and Swen A. Swenson donated a large section of land for a townsite on an extension of the Texas Central Railway. Railway president Henry McHarg named the new town Stamford for his hometown in Connecticut. A Cumberland Presbyterian church was organized in members' homes and a post office was established in a railroad boxcar in 1899. The Bank of Stamford opened for business in January 1900 and the first train pulled out of the Stamford depot in February. Businesses, churches and utilities soon were established.
         The booming town was incorporated in January 1901 and P.P. Berthelot became the first mayor. Stamford relied primarily on agriculture for its economy. Cotton, Swenson's Herefords and other area livestock brought substantial income. The town also boasted a flour mill, cottonseed oil plant, iron foundry, gins, brick manufacturers and a railroad roundhouse. Both passenger and freight trains brought business to town. Stamford Collegiate Institution (later Stamford College), a Methodist school, opened in 1907. Oil was discovered near Stamford in 1935 and broadened the town's economic base still further. U.S. Army pilots trained at nearby Arledge Field during World
Stamford Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
2. Stamford Marker
View to south across W. McHarg Street
Marker is next to the parking area on the right side
War II.
         The town of Stamford thrived throughout the 20th century. Though the Burlington Northern Railroad (final proprietor of the railway through Stamford) abandoned the track in the late 1990s, the Swenson Land and Cattle Company remained in operation, and cotton, cattle and wheat continued to be among Stamford's leading industries at the dawn of the 21st century.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11693.)
Location. 32° 56.707′ N, 99° 48.648′ W. Marker is in Stamford, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is on W. McHarg Street (Business U.S. 277) west of S. Porter Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stamford TX 79553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First AQHA Show (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); "The Poet Ranchman" Larry Chittenden (approx. half a mile away); Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association (approx. 0.6 miles away); Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John's Methodist
Centennial Monument<br>1900-2000 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, January 25, 2016
3. Centennial Monument
"A tribute to our area's ranching and railroad heritage and their combined
influence on the founding and early days of Stamford."
Dedicated June 30, 2000
(approx. 0.6 miles away); The Mackenzie Trail (approx. 1.8 miles away); Arledge Field (approx. 5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stamford.
Also see . . .  Stamford, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association's "Handbook of Texas Online". (Submitted on February 14, 2016.) 
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 189 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement