Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Palacio de Borgellá
—(Antigua Casa de Diego de Herrera) —
Vivienda del siglo XVI, originalmente habitada por el escribano Diego de Herrera, importante personaje de la colonia española. La galería frontal con arcos se le añade durante la ocupación haitiana de 1822 a 1844, cuando fue remodelada para Casa de Gobierno, por el gobernador haitiano Gerónimo Borgellá. En 1863 fue asiento de la Real Audiencia durante la anexión a España. Ha sido sede del Tribunal de Justicia y del Senado de la República.
A 16th century building, originally inhabited by the scribe Diego de Herrera, an important character in the Spanish colonial period. The arched front entryway was added during the Haitian occupation of 1822-1844, when it was remodeled as the center of government by the Haitian Governor Gerónimo Borgellá. In 1863 it was the seat of the Royal Court during the annexation to Spain. It has hosted the Court and the Senate of the Republic.
Location. 18° 28.419′ N, 69° 53.011′ W. Marker is in Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo. Marker is on Calle Isabel la Católica just from Calle El Conde, on the right when traveling north. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Antonio Maceo (within shouting distance of this marker); The French Embassy (about 90 meters Pope John Paul II's 1979 Visit to Santo Domingo (about 90 meters away); The Plaza of the Priests (about 120 meters away); First City Hall in the Americas (about 120 meters away); First Municipal Council in the Americas (about 120 meters away); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (about 120 meters away); The House of the Rectory (about 120 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Santo Domingo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Politics •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.