“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty in Amite County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)

Amite Female Seminary

Amite Female Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2016
1. Amite Female Seminary Marker
Inscription. Locally known as the Little Red School House, the Amite Female Seminary was established in 1853 by Rev. Milton S. Shirk. The school's curriculum included music, literature, history, mathematics, modern languages, philosophy, science and physical education. The school ceased operation during the Civil War when the Seminary burned, leaving this lone building. Following renovations, the Little Red School House was converted into a museum in 1979.
Erected 2010 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Location. 31° 9.59′ N, 90° 48.385′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Mississippi, in Amite County. Marker is on Clinic Street east of Old Jackson Rd. (Mississippi Highway 569), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty MS 39645, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Of Liberty (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Herbert Lee (approx. mile away); Amite County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty (approx. 0.3 miles away); Liberty Missionary Baptist Church
Amite Female Seminary and Marker image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2016
2. Amite Female Seminary and Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Natchez District (approx. 8.2 miles away); Jerry Clower (approx. 9.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Liberty.
Categories. EducationWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 141 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement